Solidarity for Sk’aliCh’elh-tenaut on the 50th anniversary of her captivity
O Si’am ne schaleche sii’am (dear friends and relations),
Please stand with us in solidarity for Sk’aliCh’elh-tenaut at a virtual event on September 24th, the 50th anniversary of her captivity at Miami Seaquarium. We are traveling to Miami and holding ceremony as part of our Xa xalh Xechnging (sacred obligation) to care for our relation and work to bring her home. Estitem-sen (we are trying our best)!
This hour-long Facebook LiveStream event will be held from 2-3pm ET / 11am-12pm PT, and will feature:
- Seminole opening prayer
- Water Ceremony for Sk’aliCh’elh-tenaut
- a short film about Sk’aliCh’elh-tenaut’s history
- Statement of Solidarity from International Indigenous Leaders
- words from our partners at Earth Law Center, Northwest Indian College, Florida International University’s Global Indigenous Forum, and Whale Sanctuary Project
- Ways for the public to engage with and support the work
- the Blackhawk Singers of Lummi Nation
Bringing Sk’aliCh’elh-tenaut home will help heal her family and ours. Bringing her home will help heal the Salish Sea. Bringing her home will be a step in upholding the rights of Indigenous Peoples throughout the world who are working to protect their homes, their relations, and their ancestral ways.
Hy’shqe (thank you)!
Squil-le-he-le and Tah-Mahs